Sunday, July 11, 2010

Gardening


“Gardening is about enjoying the smell of things growing in the soil, getting dirty without feeling guilty, and generally taking the time to soak up a little peace and serenity

― Lindley Karstens





This is really what gardening is about for me.  I think it is why I never wear gloves when working in the garden.  Some of you may be gasping in shock -- after all, digging around in the dirt can play havoc with ones hands, not to mention ones manicure (and, yes, I do get my nails done).  It is true that, after playing out in the garden, I frequently spend the evening dousing my hands with lotion -- but . . . It. Is. Worth. It!

I love the feel of the soil in my hands, the vibrations of life that I feel as I lovingly inspect the plants as they grow and begin to provide the desired produce.  The fleeting moment of dismay when I realize that a destructive little critter has invaded followed by the knowledge that this is part of the process -- the cycle of life, if you will.  Especially when it comes to many caterpillars --  they can decimate a plant, but ultimately they become such beautiful creatures . . . 

Sometimes I think my goal, when puttering around in the garden is to become as dirty as possible -- and boy do I succeed!  But it isn't the kind of dirty that makes you want to run to the bathroom and take a shower.  Instead, it brings about a feeling of connection, calm, and satisfaction.  Okay -- maybe that makes me a bit eccentric . . . or maybe that just makes me a witch!




4 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

Ah, when I had my garden, I never wore gloves either. Never used any pesticides...did my own weeding every Sunday..and I had the most wondrous place.
Mary

Sydnii said...

The only garden I have at the moment is contained within a few pots... But one of these days, when I have my own house with my own earth and land... I won't be wearing gloves while playing in the dirt, either! Why wear gloves and miss that connection?

RA said...

One main reason for the well being brought on by gardening and especially getting one's hands in the soil is just that: getting one's hand into the soil. Literally. Like being one with the earth, being part of the creating force. :)

Marie S said...

Most of my time is spent in the face of energy movement, tv, computer, tools and others and gardening seems to ground some of that off for me.
And the dirt reminds me I am human.
Have a great week dear one!!