Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Our Little Secrets

Recently, Sparrow over on eWitch posted about practical protection and shared a method she calls The Bra Barrier.  I was tickled pink to read this post because it is actually a method that I use (with a slightly different process).  Sparrow uses three stones while I usually only use one (or one of each stone needed at the time) -- on the left side, by my heart.

This started me thinking . . .

How do I shore up my body/soul when I am feeling particularly vulnerable?

First and foremost, there is my jewelry.  Just about every item I wear has some kind of significance.  Either they have been given to me by an important person in my life or they have special significance to me, personally.  Ideally, I prefer to wear many items (yes, I fulfill the stereotype -- sorry!)  But, I can very easily limit my jewelry -- though even limited, it usually exceeds 'normal' jewelry wearing quota.

In the event that I must, I will cut down the rings and bracelets, but I always wear a single necklace and my ear rings.  I must admit that there are very few instances in my life where this is necessary.  I kind of have the attitude of 'take me as I am . . . if you don't like it, lump it'.  But, I do recognize the value of breaking new people in when it comes to my little idiosyncrasies -- so sometimes the jewelry comes off for a bit.  When this happens, if I feel it is necessary, I will put stones in less observable places -- either using the Bra Barrier method or having my version of a medicine pouch that can be placed in a pocket or worn around my neck under clothing.  I have even been known to slip a little something in my sock on occasion.

Some of these techniques are very helpful if one is still firmly intrenched in their broom closet.  I am neither in the dark recesses of my closet any longer, nor am I bouncing up and down howling at the moon outside it all the time.  I guess I take each situation as it comes, deciding how much of my spiritual path to share as the need arises.  Some people in my life have intimate knowledge of my spiritual practices, others know my label but have little idea of how that plays out in my life, others make assumptions (usually incorrect), and still others have no clue.  If I do not wish to challenge those with assumptions or disrupt the status quo with those who have not clue, I usually chose more subtle decorations -- hence, the 'stealth' shielding and enhancing.  Of course, there are the times that I just use energy and attitude alone . . . but that is probably another post!

6 comments:

Me said...

I generally wear two necklaces. One is my Hecate amulet and the other is a chakra wheel and incorporates all the stones of the chakra. If I dont wear it, boy, I can feel it.

Anonymous said...

I have been putting stones in my bra for years. It's always funny at the end of the day if I've forgotten I've put one in there and I get undressed and here "thunk".

Love your writings...

Wizardess said...

I'm a minimalist on the jewelry, but I'm also pretty darn closeted. I have an agate necklace, though, that I wear when I feel I need a little extra protection. Looks like Witch by Nature & I have given you the same award!! :)

Me said...

I think we did Wiz :)

Mother Moon said...

I wore a small silver celtic pinky ring on my left hand with a green stone. I lost it the other day and have been frantic to find it... It is funny how attached we become to such things

Bridgett said...

I'm still trying to find that perfect Pagan pendant.

But I do think I'm going to try the stone in the bra method. ;)