Monday, March 29, 2010

Just a little late . . .

Whew!  What a week!  I feel like I have been running in circles!  The week has only just begun and I am already beat!


First, so many of you have commented on my blog background that I must give credit where credit is due.  (Actually, I already do, but you may not be scrolling down far enough to see it.)  The blog background is actually called Blood Red Moon and was created by Olehan.  She has tons of great templates that you can use -- check her out and enjoy!


This weekend the portable green house went up and seeds were started.  So far this year, we have built a cold frame and collected materials to build a potting/garden work table.  We got our grubby little hands on some Mountain Mahogany seedings which have been strategically planted to provide more privacy once they grow.  On top of that, there are now some Golden Currant bushes on the south wall and I am hoping to use any fruit that is produced this year to make preserves.  Maybe combine it with some blueberries or blackberries, depending on how the plants do -- last year none of the berry bushes did well, but hopefully that will change this year. 


The other big garden project for this growing season is to expand the beds under the trees.  This is actually a pretty big job because the landscape put in when the house was built was pretty much rock and gravel with a few plants.  We are slowly changing that but this is year three and we will probably be digging out gravel for another 3-4 years as the garden develops.  Slowly, the sterile surroundings are being transformed into a living ecosystem . . . one that will provide our household with a wonderful bounty provided by the land.


At the moment, it is too early to be planting -- we can get a late frost well into April here -- but, the green thumb is beginning to twitch and preparations are beginning!  As things start to take shape, I will post pictures!  

9 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

I'd love to watch your garden grow. Since I had to give up mine, I live vicariously through others.
Mary

Mother Moon said...

it is always fun when the weather warms and finally work outdoors can begin... look forward to seeing your garden as it blooms...

Bogaman said...

Sounds like your getting the fever like some of the rest of us. I've started some bluberries myself. Hoping to see some growth this year. X.

Marie S said...

I need to do something outside soon. It is beautiful here and I am itching to get out there.

Thank you for encouraging me to sell my stuff. I have been working on my website for a while now and will probably upload it in the middle of april.
Love and hugs, my sweet.

RA said...

I am a city girl, but every Spring, when people start talking about planting and getting their hands dirty with earth.... well, I dream. :)

Wizardess said...

Hey Lucky, you won Mrs. B's give-away!!

Marie S said...

Thanks Moonwolf!! It was a fun post and it helped me not be so frustrated about Blogger!
LOL! Last couple of days it has been a pain.
Hope your week is getting better.
Love and hugs.

Tammie Lee said...

how wonderful to have a greenhouse! I have been wondering when I should start seeds. I have never done this in our area and I have no green house, they will sit in a window inside. Your blog really is gorgeous.

KrisMrsBBradley said...

Hi! You've won my Moonstone Jewelry giveaway! Please send me you email info so that I can put you in contact with the sponsor! Congrats!